This article is meant for people using 3DS Max software who wants to get to know a free alternative better. If you are in the architecture, interior, game modelling industry, you will probably have heard of or even use Autodesk 3DS Max. It is one of the most popular 3D program for this kind of work. The closest open source equivalent to 3DS Max is probably Blender. In fact many Blender 3D users also uses 3DS Max.
Blender, through the usage of Cycles render, has a powerful rendering system that can produce Global illumination based render. Cycles is going to mature with IES lighting capability, making it even more useful for interior design rendering works.
Below video showcases some stuffs that Blender can do.
Blender also has 3d sculpting capability. Beside Blender, Sculptris is another free 3D digital sculpting software. Unknown to many, the files done in Blender can also be sent for 3D printing if it is created correctly. In fact there are 3D printing course using Blender as well.
As Blender gains in user base and popularity, it doesnt hurt to get to know this free but powerful 3D program better. The following are some information to make it easier for Autodesk 3DS Max users to understand and perhaps use Blender:
1. Unlike 3DS Max, Blender selection is perfomed by using the right-mouse button click.
2. In 3DS Max, multiple selection is performed via the Ctrl key. In the case of Blender3D, selection of multiple objects is done using the SHIFT key.
3. In Blender, 3DS Max’s Sub-object selection mode equivalent is known as the Edit Mode. The Edit Mode is toggled using the TAB key.
4. The Select and Link parent-child grouping is Ctrl + P keys using Blender. The last object selected in the parent.
5. The shift-drag of edge to extrude in 3DS Max is E-key using Blender.
6. Connect loopcut is Ctrl + R keys using Blender.
7. Cut is K-key (Knife)
We have come to the end of this short article. In a nutshell, these are some of the fundamental differences of these 2 powerful 3D applications.
Give Blender a try. Who knows, you may like it.